High in Protein – Low in calories!
Courtesy of MyFitnessPal.com
- 5 cups (1,185 grams) water
- 11/2 cups (165 grams) carrots, shredded (about 21/2 medium carrots)
- 11/2 cups (170 grams) zucchini, shredded (about 1/2 large zucchini)
- 1/4 cup (30 grams) whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 cup (5 grams) Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 11/4 teaspoons ground chili powder
- 2 stalks (25 grams) green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 large (50 grams each) eggs, whisked
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
Heat water in a medium saucepan over high heat. When water boils, add carrots and zucchini and cook for 3–4 minutes. Drain the vegetable mixture in a strainer, and run under cold water for 1 minute. Pat dry with paper towels, getting as much water out as you can.
TIME-SAVING TIP: Hate waiting for water to boil? You can put the carrot and zucchini into a bowl and microwave for about 2 minutes. Then pat dry with paper towels.
Put the vegetable mixture into a bowl, along with flour, cheese, salt, pepper, chili powder, green onions and eggs. Stir mixture until well combined. Portion out fritter mixture using a 1/4 cup–size measuring cup, and roll into a ball. Set aside.
Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Put 1 tablespoon oil into the skillet, and allow oil to heat. Then add 3 balls of fritter mixture to the pan and flatten with spatula. Cook the fritters, 4–5 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
Repeat once more with the second batch for a total of 6 fritters.
BUDGET TIP: If you have leftover broccoli stalks and don’t know what to do with them, grate and use them instead of zucchini.
Serves: 2 | Serving Size: 3 fritters (about 50 grams each)
Per serving: Calories: 375; Total Fat: 24g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Monounsaturated Fat: 12g; Cholesterol: 226mg; Sodium: 789mg; Carbohydrate: 27g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Sugar: 1g; Protein: 17g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 659mg; Iron: 14%; Vitamin A: 28%; Vitamin C: 50%; Calcium: 21%
Energizing Tips (optional)
- Top with 1/4 cup reduced-fat Greek yogurt to add calories and protein. (Per serving: Calories: 408; Fat: 24g; Carbohydrate: 29g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Sugar: 3g; Protein: 22g)
- Serve with 1/4 medium avocado to up calories and good fats. (Per serving: Calories: 434; Fat: 30g; Carbohydrate: 30g; Dietary Fiber: 6g; Sugar: 1g; Protein: 17g)
Posted on November 7, 2015, in Recipes and tagged 400 calories, Appetizers, breakfast, carrots, egg, Flour, Kid-friendly, No Added Sugar, Sides, Vegetarian, whole wheat, zucchini. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.